Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:59:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE-2017-16231: PCRE 8.41 match() stack overflow;
 CVE-2017-16232: LibTIFF 4.0.8 memory leaks

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017, ???? wrote:

>> [Suggested description]
>> LibTIFF 4.0.8 has multiple memory leak vulnerabilities, which allow
>> attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption), as demonstrated
>> by tif_open.c, tif_lzw.c, and tif_aux.c

>> [Additional Information]
>> /tiff2bw ../../../../libtiff_4.0.8_afl/2bw_output/crashes/poc.tif 222.tif

I am not seeing any memory leak vulnerability.  I do see that tiff2bw
made no attempt to release any memory at all (not strictly required
for a utility since memory is released when it quits).  I have
modified the code in the development CVS version to release memory to
satisfy memory checkers.

> Use CVE-2017-16232.

This is a memory-based DOS issue within tiff2bw itself (not directly
inside libtiff).  TIFF files using LZW compression can achieve a very
high compression ratio so it can be difficult to predict if a file's
pixel dimensions are bogus or not.  Valid files also pose a DOS
opportunity.  There are no arbitrary limits imposed within tiff2bw.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@...ple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/