Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:32:55 +0000
From: Robert Watson <robertcwatson1@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2017-8805: Unsafe symlinks not filtered in
 Debian mirror script ftpsync

Scripts depend on the underlying functionality of the various utilities
like rsync that they call. I'm having trouble understanding how a script
could ever be deserving of a CVE. Maybe I'm wrong. I wish to be educated.

We are overwhelmed with more vulnerabilities than can be fixed quickly
already.

Are "just to be safer" type things really a wise use of our resources?

Does a proliferation of a large number of low-caliber problems make
monitoring these lists more trouble than it's worth? Does it cause
high-impact problems to be lost amongst low-impact ones?

--

Robert "DocSalvager" Watson
... trust in truth keeps hope alive