Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:55:07 -0400
From: Robert Watson <robertcwatson1@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2017-8805: Unsafe symlinks not filtered in
 Debian mirror script ftpsync

May be that this convo should be migrated somewhere else, but I'd really
like to understand how this has anything to do with symlinks. Been
programming Unix/Linux for 30 years but now need to be a real SysAdmin so
need to correct my misconceptions.

Removing the ability for rsync to copy symlinks pointing to targets outside
the mirror tree would greatly cripple it. I need to understand how the
danger is worth the loss of this functionality.

Can you or anyone help me with this?

*Trust in truth keeps hope aliverobertcwatson1@...il.com
<robertcwatson1@...il.com>webmaster@...icchorale.org
<webmaster@...icchorale.org>alpha.docsalvager.info