Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:00:23 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Cc: nix-devel@...glegroups.com, Graham Christensen <graham@...hamc.com>,
	Franz Pletz <fpletz@...rdicwalking.de>, Domen Kožar <domen@....si>,
	Rob Vermaas <rob.vermaas@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Privilege escalation with kill(-1, SIGKILL) in XNU
 kernel of macOS High Sierra

So I normally wouldn't accept this posting (and no doubt Solar will be
annoyed because this isn't Open Source per se, and he's 100% right) but
this posting does provide a good teachable moment.

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Shea Levy <shea@...alevy.com> wrote:

> Hello oss-security,
>
> We have found an issue in the XNU kernel of macOS High Sierra wherein an
> unprivileged user can terminate all running processes using the kill
> system call. In short, a completely unprivileged user can bring down the
> entire system with kill(-1, SIGKILL) (and, in a shell, kill SIGKILL -1),
> so long as there is at least one other process running owned by that
> user. In some cases we've seen it take a few tries in a loop to actually
> trigger the issue.

In general this isn't a huge issue based on normal Mac OS usage as it;s not
typically a shell server. But it's still "local user makes system die"
which is of interest.

> We have reported the issue to Apple, who do not see it as a security
> concern. On its own the ability to easily bring down a multi-user system
> is concerning, but the fact that we found this accidentally and that the
> behavior is exactly what you'd expect if there were no permissions check
> for the kill call at all leads us to believe that there is likely more
> that can be done to exploit this issue. Some reports include log
> messages showing services being killed prior to the system breaking,
> though this has been difficult to reproduce.
>
> We have not reserved a CVE for this issue as Apple is a CNA and does not
> see it as a security issue.

And here's my main teachable moment.

If a CVE Numbering Authority (CNA) does not grant a CVE to an issue
(whether it be due to "not a bug" or non responsiveness or whatever) there
is a simple process to deal with this. You go to the CNA's parent, a list
of CNA's is currently at:

https://cve.mitre.org/cve/cna.html

in general most current CNA's have MITRE as their parent (we're working on
a federated hierarchy but we're in the early stages), so using the form:

https://cveform.mitre.org/

to request a CVE would be your next step. For the Open Source Distributed
Weakness Filing (DWF) hierarchy each CNA and sub CNA is registered at:

https://github.com/distributedweaknessfiling/DWF-CNA-Registry/tree/master/CNA-Registry

so essentially you go to the parent and keep working your way up until
either you are satisfied, or you hit MITRE and they tell you to take a
hike, or give you a CVE.

Speaking of which if you are an Open Source project and want to be a CNA,
polease contact me and chances are I can set you up in a pretty quick
timeframe (faster than I assign CVEs because creating a CNA is a much
better ROI of my time than issuing a CVE). .

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert@...hat.com