Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 14:51:49 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux kernel CVEs not mentioned on oss-security

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:14:04AM +0100, Muhammed Mustapha Abiola wrote:
> Isn't this exactly what Vendor-Sec tried to solve?

No.  Not even similar.

vendor-sec was / linux-distros is solely about the subset of issues that
are initially embargoed, but OTOH not limited to the Linux kernel.
So there wasn't / isn't meant to be more than a slight overlap between
issues handled on those lists vs. all Linux kernel security issues/fixes.

Besides, Greg focuses on the problem that some ignore the stable kernels
or the "curated and tested stream of fixes" that could be seen in there,
whereas another concern mentioned earlier in the thread is that the
stream is also incomplete because some security fixes are not marked as
such and not CC'ed to stable.  So that's two problems mentioned in the
thread, but vendor-sec was not / linux-distros is not related to either.

Alexander