Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 14:02:23 +0200
From: Casper.Dik@...cle.com
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: Daniel SkowroĊ„ski <daniel@...nf.net>
Subject: Re: systemd fails to parse user that should run service

>2) If user name specified in systemd unit file is syntactically correct
>(according to systemd check) but user name does not exist then systemd
>refuse to start that unit.

Should systemd really valid usernames?  I would think that you would
either use getpwnam(username) and if that fails you may then parse it as a
numeric value.  If "0day" isn't a valid username according to getpwnam(),
when converting it to a numeric uid should *also* fail because "0day"
isn't a properly numeric value.

Casper