Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 15:50:17 +0100
From: John Haxby <john.haxby@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: systemd fails to parse user that should run
 service

On 05/07/17 14:53, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 at 14:02:23 +0200, Casper.Dik@...cle.com wrote:
>>> 2) If user name specified in systemd unit file is syntactically correct
>>> (according to systemd check) but user name does not exist then systemd
>>> refuse to start that unit.
>>
>> Should systemd really valid usernames?  I would think that you would
>> either use getpwnam(username) and if that fails you may then parse it as a
>> numeric value.  If "0day" isn't a valid username according to getpwnam(),
>> when converting it to a numeric uid should *also* fail because "0day"
>> isn't a properly numeric value.
>
> It *does* fail. The problem is in the handling of that failure. systemd
> interprets that failure as "this line is nonsense, so behave as though the
> line didn't exist" rather than "this line can be positively identified as
> an attempt to name a nonexistent or unacceptable user, so fail to load
> the unit". So User=7up does the same thing as User=0day - it doesn't
> run as uid 7, which is 'lp' on my Debian system.

And therein lies the problem.  "0day" and "7up" are valid user names
according to Posix[1], they may or may not exist, but they are valid.
You may think Posix is wrong to allow an initial digit, but that isn't
the issue.  The problem is that systemd treats an "invalid" username as
either an integer or not specified and in either case this results in a
program running as the wrong user, probably as root.

Having systemd balk at what Posix considers to be a valid username is a
bug that systemd is free to say "this is stupid, we're not allowing
that".   If, as appears to be the case, systemd says "that username is
stupid, we're going to interpret it differently" then that's when we
need a CVE because, to my mind on this hot and sunny say, that's systemd
apparently doing something for security that it is not.

jch

[1]
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap03.html#tag_03_431