Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 15:44:04 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Mikhail Utin <mikhailutin@...mail.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: malicious hypervisor threat was ignored but it is real

Hi Mikhail,

The concern is legitimate and there are relevant PoC's (perhaps starting
with Joanna Rutkowska's Blue Pill), but as a moderator for oss-security
I find your message inappropriate for this list: no focus on Open Source
(relevance yes, focus no), effectively no substance (only references to
others' work and general reasoning about how the attacks are possible),
promotion of your company and resource, a couple of instances of "patent
pending" on your recent slides, and a cross-post (you also brought this
at least to full-disclosure, where it is in fact more on topic).

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 02:52:16AM +0000, Mikhail Utin wrote:
> Around 2007 ? 2008 a hypervisor has been found in Intel Corporation motherboards which have been shipped to Russia for the development of a special computer system. Russian scientist published the article describing how he found the malware in BMC BIOS flash memory. The article is available in English now.

It's been a long while, but if you're referring to the same thing I read
in Russian back then (and it looks so), I can say that IMO it lacked
substance too.  From the text, I couldn't discern whether the author
wrote a fine piece of science fiction (with sufficiently good knowledge
of the underlying "science") or a documentary, but either way there were
no specifics that would enable anyone else to reproduce the findings.

Unless anyone has anything on-topic (focus on Open Source) and specific
(ideally, reproducible) to add, let's end this oss-security thread here.

Alexander