Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 22:36:16 -0700
From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@...gle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2017-8291 ghostscript remote code execution

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 7:43 PM, redrain root <rootredrain@...il.com> wrote:

> what a awkward??
> I have discovered a part of my vulns about ghostscript last year and
> exploited in fulldisclosure early!
> and these vulns are part of mine I was going to discovered these in defcon
> or other conference...WTF...
> u guys are logo designer???
>
> there are two demos last year
> Evince Arbitrary Code Execution https://youtu.be/wzcrHXngfcM Attack Imagick
> through Ghostscript https://youtu.be/tPGm_ANDyOw

I don't think so, that is CVE-2016-7976 and is entirely unrelated to
the issue being discussed, other than superficial similarity of the
exploit.

That issue was reported by me, and we discussed the ImageMagick and
evince attack vectors at the time, you can check the archives if
you're interested.

http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2016/q4/29

This issue (CVE-2017-8291) is a type confusion vulnerability (well,
technically two vulnerabilities), and was found in the wild.

Tavis.