Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 12:29:39 +0300
From: Jerome Athias <athiasjerome@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Dealing with CVEs that apply to unspecified
 package versions

Yes the CVE form could help. (from my experience, first versions of a CVE
sometimes do not include the exact CPE versions, the CPE are (or should be
used as) at that time a pattern (e.g. "starts with") (still helpful) and
are then sometimes (and we should understand/recognize the time/effort
needed) revised/detailed over time
OVAL could help to circumvent that issue (e.g. patterns/regex, hashes, etc.)

imho, the root cause (or main issue) is:
CVRF (or OASIS CSAF/CVRF) or CVE schema are lacking in their
models/schemas/trees what is needed to automatically handle software
components/dependencies
e.g. of what would be needed:
http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/cim-html/2.46.0+/CIM_SoftwareElement.html