Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:16:16 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MITRE is adding data intake to its CVE ID process

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 03:16:45PM -0200, Fabio Olive Leite wrote:
> On 02/11/2017 09:35 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> >> C5. I want MITRE to send the https://cveform.mitre.org form data, and
> >> the CVE ID, to the oss-security list at the same time that these are
> >> sent to the requester.
> >>
> >> R5. We have had internal discussions within MITRE about this. We are
> >> able to implement this easily if the community requires this approach.
> >> At the moment, we are expecting the requester to resend this
> >> information to oss-security once they accept their CVE ID assignment.
> >
> > MITRE - can you please implement that, and we'll see how it goes and
> > whether we need it adjusted or possibly discontinued if things go wrong
> > or if there's opposition (so far, there's almost none)?
>
> Was there any response from Mitre to this request?  I believe a lot of
> people would feel better if they confirmed they will do it.

I saw no response from MITRE.

Kurt, who is not with MITRE but who presumably knows what he's saying,
implied it'd be non-trivial for MITRE to separate issues in open source
vs. other software:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2017/02/12/2

"We could also have the MITRE CVE ID feed new stuff into oss-security but it
would include non open source stuff."

MITRE - is this difficulty the reason for the lack of response so far?
If so, should we consider workarounds such as setting up another mailing
list to which all assigned CVE IDs would be posted?

Alexander