Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:14:41 -0600
From: Josh Bressers <josh@...ss.net>
To: Marc-Alexandre Montpas <marc@...uri.net>
Cc: Kurt Seifried <kurt@...fried.org>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, dadinolfi@...re.org,
	ccoffin@...re.org
Subject: Re: Asking for a CVE id for the WordPress Privilege Escalation
 vulnerability (4.7/4.7.1)

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Marc-Alexandre Montpas <marc@...uri.net>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Per Josh's request, I'm sending the details here.
>
> There was a Privilege Escalation vulnerability in WordPress version 4.7
> and 4.7.1, which allowed attackers to edit any posts on a vulnerable site.
>
> The issue was caused by an inconsistent use of numeric IDs which made it
> possible for an attacker to make use of PHP's type juggling features to
> bypass the privilege check mechanisms put in place.
>
> More information here:  https://blog.sucuri.net/2017/02/content-injection-
> vulnerability-wordpress-rest-api.html

I know this is sort of out of the blue, but it strikes me as very
important, so I'm going to deal with this request right now.

I'm helping Kurt with some DWF tasks and this CVE request showed up. I
can't find a reference to a previous request for this issue, it's also very
high profile and I'm told being exploited in the wild. I'm not seeing a
previous request for the latest wordpress issue. I don't want an assignment
request to wait until after the weekend.

It's #4 on the wordpress site:
https://wordpress.org/news/2017/01/wordpress-4-7-2-security-release/

I saw 1-3 had CVE IDs requested on January 27th.

Let's use CVE-2017-1001000 for #4

Thanks.

--
    JB