Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:54:09 +0100
From: Peter Bex <peter@...e-magic.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: MITRE is adding data intake to its CVE ID process

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:26:01PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Agreed, having tried to figure out the form it seems geared toward
> requesting CVE IDs for vulnerabilities you've found in someone
> else's software, and not for maintainers of software to request CVE
> IDs for vulnerabilities which have been disclosed to them. The
> little detail callout icons for the vendor and product fields link
> to the CNA coverage list[0]

I'm also concerned about this.  Last time I asked a MITRE employee
about this as a result of the automated mail that oss-security
sends out when it detects a CVE request, and I did not receive a
reply.

So far I've only requested CVE IDs for projects that have no
obvious CNA.

> which in turn instructs, "For open
> source software products not listed below, request a CVE ID through
> the Distributed Weakness Filing Project[1] CNA." So I guess that's
> what our project will be using in the future, or maybe just stop
> bothering to obtain CVEs on our own and let the various downstream
> redistributors of our software who are themselves CNAs issue them as
> needed and then fight over whose is the correct one.
> [0] http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html#cna_coverage
> [1] https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeiY7ldJAx-fjU6eSnXDaX5TB--L1ujCQpmGAKnqBSJOcBShw/viewform

For me, having to use a Google docs form is unacceptable.  I try to
avoid Google in my life as much as possible.  I'd rather avoid
requesting a CVE ID, or let someone else do it, if that's the only
remaining option for non-listed free software projects.

The oss-security list was a reasonably good solution for me.  The only
disadvantage is that time passes between initial announcement and the
CVE ID, because (AFAIK) a CVE request needs to contain a reference to
the announcement as "proof" that the vulnerability is real and not a
duplicate.  In an ideal world, free software project leaders should be
able to request a CVE ID _before_ announcing a vulnerability to their
user base.  If there were some way to register people as project leaders,
the "proof" should not be necessary, they should be able to request a
CVE ID with authority.

This delay between announcement and getting a CVE ID has always bothered
me about CVE requests via oss-security.  On the other hand, I like the
fact that there's a somewhat centralised place to watch for important
and early(!) free software security information.

Cheers,
Peter Bex

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)