Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 22:24:00 -0500
From: <cve-assign@...re.org>
To: <spender@...ecurity.net>
CC: <cve-assign@...re.org>, <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE REQUEST: linux kernel: process with pgid zero able to crash kernel

> [] how about a CVE for a recent kernel, for a vulnerability
> not fixed in any stable kernel yet, and introduced for a pointless mitigation
> no less:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=c4e490cf148e85ead0d1b1c2caaba833f1d5b29f
> This affects upstream >= 4.8 when CONFIG_SLAB_FREELIST_RANDOM is enabled

Use CVE-2017-5546.

> since VMAP_STACK was introduced haphazardly in 4.9 without doing any
> static analysis beyond a simple grep or smatch it seems, there are probably a
> dozen or so DoSes when CONFIG_DEBUG_SG or CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL is
> enabled, or potential silent or not so silent memory corruption when
> it's not, as a scatterlist crossing a virtual page boundary will then
> end up accessing a totally unrelated adjacent physical page if a stack
> address was passed into the scatterlist, and these vulnerabilities will
> continue to pop up until something comprehensive is done to prevent
> them. Emese's written an IPA GCC plugin to find all the ones you've missed,
> so we know there still are many that haven't been fixed.

> [] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=6d104af38b570d37aa32a5803b04c354f8ed513d

Use CVE-2017-5547.

> [] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=a45f795c65b479b4ba107b6ccde29b896d51ee98

Use CVE-2016-10153.

> [] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=06deeec77a5a689cc94b21a8a91a76e42176685d

Use CVE-2016-10154.

> [] 0day alert, not fixed in 4.9 yet:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=05a974efa4bdf6e2a150e3f27dc6fcf0a9ad5655

Use CVE-2017-5548.

> [] Not to mention the bugs introduced via fixes for VMAP_STACK:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=146cc8a17a3b4996f6805ee5c080e7101277c410

Use CVE-2017-5549.

> [] Or how about a CVE for this huge heap infoleak (and while I'm at it, congrats to
> Al for not covering it up for once, maybe he's learning!):
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b9dc6f65bc5e232d1c05fe34b5daadc7e8bbf1fb

Use CVE-2017-5550.

> [] Or this (sgid bit not cleared on tmpfs):
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=497de07d89c1410d76a15bec2bb41f24a2a89f31

Use CVE-2017-5551.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]