Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 11:33:57 -0500
From: <cve-assign@...re.org>
To: <nathan.van.gheem@...ne.org>
CC: <cve-assign@...re.org>, <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Plone Sandbox escape vulnerability

> [] Accessing private content via `str.format` in through-the-web templates
> and scripts. See this blog post by Armin Ronacher (
> http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2016/12/29/careful-with-str-format/) for the
> general idea. Since the `format` method was introduced in Python 2.6, this
> part of the hotfix is only relevant for Plone 4 and 5, not Plone 3.
>     Credit: Plone security team, Armin Ronacher
>     Reference: https://plone.org/security/hotfix/20170117/sandbox-escape
>
> Versions Affected:
> 4.3.11 and any earlier 4.x version, 5.0.6 and any earlier 5.x version
>
> Code fixes:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.PloneHotfix20170117

Use CVE-2017-5524.

The scope of this CVE does not include the "reflected Cross Site
Scripting attack (XSS) in the ZMI (manage_findResult)" mentioned on
the PloneHotfix20170117 page. If that still needs a CVE ID, please let
us know.

In the http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2016/12/29/careful-with-str-format/ post,
the exploitation scenarios are:

>     untrusted translators on string files. This is a big one because
>     many applications that are translated into multiple languages will
>     use new-style Python string formatting and not everybody will vet
>     all the strings that come in.

We do not feel that a CVE would have been needed if this were the only
exploitation scenario. We do not think there is a security boundary
between "people who can contribute arbitrary code to a product" and
"people who can contribute code that expresses translations." However,
it is possible that an open-source project exists somewhere with a
completely untrusted channel for translators.

>     user exposed configuration. One some systems users might be
>     permitted to configure some behavior and that might be exposed as
>     format strings. In particular I have seen it where users can
>     configure notification mails, log message formats or other basic
>     templates in web applications.

This one seems completely valid, and might be the primary exploitation
scenario for CVE-2017-5524.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]