Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 09:51:41 +0100
From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@...too.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: tapper <lancett01@...glemail.com>
Subject: Re: Curious about the security of my router fermwair.

On Wednesday 21 December 2016 11:39:26 tapper wrote:
> 	Hi my name is Jonathan. I don't know if this is the write place to ask
> about this but here gos.
>
> I would like to know if any one would like to have a poke around at the
> third party router firmware I use on my router called Gargoyle.
> Its a easy to use interface built on top of Openwrt.
>
> I use this firmware because it has some grate plug ins and the user
> interface has grate a11y. I use a screen reader as I am blind and the
> html5 interface is easy for me to get around in.
>
> It's homepage
> https://www.gargoyle-router.com/index.php
> GitHub
> https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle
> forum
> https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/index.php
>
> The devs behind Gargoyle are really nice people and have helped me out
> with bugs and made me a mod on the forum.
> What I would really like to know is just how secure is this firmware?
>
> I'm not a coder. I am just interested in how safe is my router firmware
> keeping me?
>
> If any one finds any sacurety bugs I know they will get fix.
>
> Thanks and sorry about my spelling Jonathan

I'm using it too.

Basically is what Seth said, but apart ffmpeg some more important packages are
not up to date, for example:

root@...goyle:~# openvpn --version
OpenVPN 2.3.6 mips-openwrt-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL] [MH] [IPv6]
built on Nov  7 2015
library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2d 9 Jul 2015, LZO 2.08