Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 12:47:41 -0500
From: <cve-assign@...re.org>
To: <carnil@...ian.org>
CC: <cve-assign@...re.org>, <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Game Music Emulators: incorrect emulation of the SPC700 audio co-processor of SNES: arbitrary code execution via malformed SPC music file

> http://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.de/2016/12/redux-compromising-linux-using-snes.html

> 1: Missing X register value clamp for the MOV (X)+,A instruction

Use CVE-2016-9957.

> 2: Missing SP register value clamp for the RET1 instruction

Use CVE-2016-9958.

> Although most operations on the A, X and Y registers clamp the
> resulting values carefully, the very interesting new multiply
> instruction, MUL, does not:
>
> generate 8-bit register values that are out of bounds

Use CVE-2016-9959 for this MUL vulnerability.

> the DIV instruction is just as interesting as the MUL one. It also
> does transforms on the values of incoming registers, leaving the
> results in the A and Y registers, without any clamping on the Y result

> Even though this code is fairly simple, I don.t claim to understand it
> 100%, particularly with large input values. What I do know is that I
> see various integer overflow opportunities, integer underflow
> opportunities, less useful div-by-zero issues, etc.

There does not seem to be enough information for a detailed CVE
mapping of the DIV behavior.

Use CVE-2016-9960 for the divide-by-zero errors.

Use CVE-2016-9961 for the other mishandling of integer values.

- --
CVE Assignment Team
M/S M300, 202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ A PGP key is available for encrypted communications at
  http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]