Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 11:59:32 +0100
From: Hanno Böck <>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: gstreamer plugins

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:31:19 +0100
Marcus Meissner <> wrote:

> 1. Bufferoverflow in VMNC decoder in gstreamer plugins:

I wanted to point out that while it's good the buffer overflow gets
fixed, that's by far not the major issue here.

This is a very problematic design decision with the functionality of
tracker/GNOME that exposes all files on a system to who knows how many
decoders of probably overall very low quality.
Almost certainly there are countless other vulnerabilities of similar
kind in all kinds of gstreamer codecs. (and I haven't checked, but I
assume tracker also exposes other files to other equally problematic

I think this is kinda a symptom of two goals clashing: We have projects
like gstreamer that attempt to parse every file format ever seen in
their are - which of course has some value, especially in terms of
preserving digital culture. But on the other hand exposing this code to
untrusted inputs is a security disaster.

I'm wondering if there is any statement or reaction from either gnome
or fedora on this.

Hanno Böck

GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42