Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 13:52:41 +0100
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [SECURITY ADVISORY] IDNA 2003 makes curl use
 wrong host

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 12:53:04 +0100
Robert Scheck <robert@...oraproject.org> wrote:

> On the other hand, I am wondering if this should be really classified
> as a security related issue.

Ambiguitiy in character encodings can often be a source of security
issues.

Just think of the following:
* A Certificate Authority is using different pieces of software that
  mix different IDNA encodings.
* I request a certificate for strasse.de, but the verification mail
  goes to xn--strae-oqa.de.
* I am the owner of xn--strae-oqa.de and now have a valid certificate
  for strasse.de.

IMHO the whole idea of suddenly changing how international domain names
are encoded is a very problematic security violation.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42