Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 08:24:24 -0500
From: Brandon Perry <>
To: Salvatore Bonaccorso <>
Subject: Re: Re: Handful of libass issues

> On Oct 27, 2016, at 3:39 AM, Salvatore Bonaccorso <> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 10:23:22PM -0400, wrote:
>>> The third is a huge memory allocation leading to a crash that wasn't
>>> fixed because a good solution is unavailable at the moment.
>> Use CVE-2016-7971.
> It looks from the discussion in
> that this issue is disputed
> to be actually in libass.

For context, while the input caused a crash with AFL (not fuzzing with ASAN) and it crashes with ASAN, I was unable to reproduce the crash with libass externally. I was only able to take up a hug amount of memory and take a long time to finish parsing the input.

I asked if they dev wanted to reject the CVE but got no strong response either way, so I decided to not pursue it.

> Should the CVE assignment be revisited, possibly rejected, according
> the upstream discussion?
> Regards,
> Salvatore

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (843 bytes)