Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:50:29 +0000
From: Mauri Miettinen <Mauri.Miettinen@...dent.oulu.fi>
To: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: "ouspg@...oulu.fi" <ouspg@...oulu.fi>
Subject: TLS testing results - OS distro vulnerabilities

To whom it may concern,

We developed a tool to check if languages and libraries verify TLS certificates properly.
While testing this tool we did a shootout against supported versions of the
some major Linux distributions.

Results are available from:

https://github.com/ouspg/trytls/blob/shootout-0.3/shootout/README.md

It seems it may be unsafe to do TLS in some of the  common distros.
E.g. the native Python version in the distros varies, and not all fixes have
been backported. In these cases Python still doesn't always have certificate
checking enabled by default.

We have contacted Python developers about the results.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2016-August/145815.html

They gave us a couple of good pointers on how configuration could be
used to mitigate the issues in some of the distributions. We are afraid
this is still a hazard where neither software developers or users realize
that code that works well for the developer may not be safe for the users.

Would you have any other resources, advice or pointers we should
document when communicating about this in the TryTLS project?

Mauri Miettinen

PS. Results have indications of weak crypto issues as well.