Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 16:22:16 +0200
From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@...e.de>
To: OSS Security List <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>,
	cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: security@...nel.org
Subject: CVE Request: Linux kernel crash of OHCI when plugging in malicious
 USB devices

Hi,

I think this does not have a CVE yet, please assign.

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg144177.html

Headline:         Linux Kernel Panic Over USB with HID Keyboard wMaxPacketSize
Platforms:        Ubuntu
Versions:         Linux Kernel 4.4.0-22-generic
CVSS Score:       4.7
CVSS Vector:      AV:L/AC:M/Au:N/C:N/I:N/A:C
Filed Defects:
Related Defects:
CWE Tags:
Cycle:
Found by:         Jake Lamberson

Linux Kernel panics when using an OHCI controller if a USB device reports being
a generic HID keyboard and reports a wMaxPacketSize of over 4095. The OHCI
controller driver fails to reserve bandwidth for the device, causing the
keyboard handler to fail when attaching to the HID. Later, when the device is
removed, the system crashes due to a null pointer dereference in a linked list
of endpoint descriptors. The crash can be re-created using a Facedancer and UMAP
software. Given an appropriately configured Facedancer and UMAP setup, the crash
can be re-created with:
sudo board=facedancer21 python3 umap.py -P /dev/serial_device_here -f 03:00:00:E:0046 -l LOG

Note: OHCI is a USB 1.1 controller standard that can be included with devices
that support either USB 1.1 or 2.0 as their highest USB spec. USB 3.0 devices
all use xHCI, which implements USB 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0, making them immune to
this particular bug.

The proposed fixing patch is here:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg144269.html

It has not yet been committed to the USB tree or to Linus Tree as far as I see.

Ciao, Marcus