Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 15:58:47 +0200
From: Hanno Böck <>
Subject: Out of bounds read and signed integer overflow in libarchive!topic/libarchive-discuss/sui01WaM3ic
I recently wrote about a large number of bugs and potential security
issues in libarchive. The release 3.2.0 missed one fix for an out of
bounds read in the rar parser. Also I discovered one additional signed
integer overflow issue with ubsan. Both issues are now fixed in
libarchive 3.2.1. All issues were discovered with the help of american
fuzzy lop.
Out of bounds heap read in RAR parser
Sample rar file
Signed integer overflow in ISO parser
Sample ISO file
Also a couple of other security issues in libarchive were found by

With the release of version 3.2.1 I consider libarchive to be
reasonably robust against fuzzing. I've tested all supported file
formats and fuzzed each one with afl/asan for at least one day. Of
course that doesn't mean that no security issues are left - but the
easy to find ones should be wiped out.

Hanno Böck