Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 19:16:26 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Adrien Nader <adrien@...k.org>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
	David Moreno Montero <dmoreno@...albits.com>,
	Zachary Grafton <zachary.grafton@...il.com>,
	Remi Birot-Delrue <asgeir@...e.fr>
Subject: Re: libonion 0.8 contains security fixes

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 02:23:36PM +0200, Adrien Nader wrote:
> I've also found myself calling shutdown() simply so that I could
> receive an error event and could then close everything, albeit in a
> slightly different context.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a common practice. I hadn't read about it I
> think and I'm once again wondering how many people do this.

I don't know if it's common or not.

I also don't know if it's common and intended or is a hack to use
EPOLLONESHOT for race-free multi-threaded use of a shared epoll
instance.  In other words, I don't know if it was meant that we rely on
the one-shot property working 100% reliably as much as we would rely
e.g. on a futex (which we would have needed in absence of this feature).
If anyone in here knows the answer, please post (and yes, this is
security-relevant).  I suspect some answers could be obtained on LKML.

As it happens, these two tricks are very powerful, especially combined.

> Also, does
> anyone know of more "usage tricks" than what is in man 7 epoll?

Below is one we've been considering as an alternative fix for the races
in onion, and which I guess David might implement in master branch now.
(It's a more invasive change, so for the 0.8 release I advocated that we
go with the shutdown() workaround that I described.)  Here's an excerpt
from my posting to onion-dev on March 13:

---
Looks like the epoll interface is lacking in that it only has a timeout
for the epoll_wait() call, but not per-fd timeouts.  If it could raise
per-fd events for per-fd timeouts, then the same one-shot mechanism
would prevent the race here.

... actually, it almost can:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10772208/epoll-and-timeouts#18454825

"Try pairing each socket with a timer fd object (timerfd_create). For
each socket in your application, create a timer that's initially set to
expire after 500ms, and add the timer to the epoll object (same as with
a socket - via epoll_ctl and EPOLL_CTL_ADD). Then, whenever data arrives on
a socket, reset that socket's associated timer back to a 500ms timeout.

If a timer expires (because a socket has been inactive for 500ms) then
the timer will become "read ready" in the epoll object and cause any
thread waiting on epoll_wait to wake up. That thread may then handle the
timeout for the timer's associated socket."

This should be much more scalable than your current linear scanning of
the list of slots - that approach needed to be reworked anyway.
---

This was further discussed between David and me on GitHub:

---
> I think we can add a timerfd slot that wakes up on next timeout, do the
> closing of fds if necessary, and loop over all the slots to check the
> new expiration time. This expiration time has to be reset as well on new
> slots and slot function dispatching, as user could set a new timeout
> sooner than the current timeout. timerfd allows to reset a running
> timer.

This sounds good to me.  I am also considering using timerfd's if/when I
eventually replace my use of onion with own code.

Waking up on each exact timeout may be more costly than waking up once
per second.  So you'll want to group nearby timeouts, with some
reasonable granularity.
---

While I am posting the above, let's please keep further discussion on
oss-security, if any, security-focused.  I felt the above was (barely)
on topic because it's about races, and those are security hazards.

epoll usage tricks in general, beyond security relevant ones, are
off-topic for oss-security.  Adrien, I am not saying that your message
was off-topic for oss-security; rather, I am saying that just like this
reply of mine, yours was also barely on topic (and that's fine), so
let's not stray farther into arbitrary epoll usage tricks or whatever.

Alexander