Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 14:05:36 -0500
From: Scott Balneaves <sbalneav@...p.org>
To: Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@...ian.org>
Cc: Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@...ian.org>, cve-assign@...re.org,
	oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: libpam-sshauth: local root privilege escalation

>> Here, the commit message for revision 93 was "Succeed for system
>> accounts."
>>
>> We don't know why introducing the undocumented behavior of "Is it a
>> system user? Fail" would be better than simply not checking
>> "pwent->pw_uid < UID_MIN" at all. Also, is there any risk that, with
>> this libpam-sshauth update, a system's PAM configuration might
>> suddenly provide no way for root to login via SSH?
>>
>> Is it possible that the original motivation for revision 93 was that
>> the PAM_SUCCESS from pam_sm_authenticate was supposed to be specially
>> handled elsewhere in the "pwent->pw_uid < UID_MIN" case?

The problem was, quite bluntly, an incomplete understanding of PAM
mechanics on my part.

The original idea was that it was supposed to be used in conjunction
with other modules; specifically, pam_unix.  So my *thinking* (if you
could call it that) was that it would be used as such:

auth required pam_unix.so  ...
auth required pam_sshauth.so ...

Since (in my mind), accepting the root user would be handled by pam_unix,
I should simply succeed, since if the root account password was
incorrectly entered, the pam_unix result would be a FAIL, and thus
then entire pam auth stack would fail.  Therefore, in my (incorrect)
thinking,
I should simply succeed on systems accounts.

I didn't, at the time, know about the ability to skip with [success=N], or
even
consider that I would use it as the only pam module.

TL;DR: I didn't know what I was doing, and misunderstood how I should
handle systems accounts.  Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Cheers,
Scott