Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:55:37 +0100
From: Laël Cellier <lael.cellier@...oste.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: server and client side remote code execution through a buffer overflow in all git versions before 2.7.1 (unpublished ᴄᴠᴇ-2016-2324 and ᴄᴠᴇ‑2016‑2315)

Hello, original report describing the overflow is here
http://pastebin.com/UX2P2jjg

On 11/02/2016 16:50, Jeff King wrote this on the git security mailing list:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 02:31:49PM +0100, 'Laël Cellier' via Git Security wrote:
>> Ok the bug works by pushing or cloning a repository with a large
>> filename or a large number of nested trees.
>> [...]
>> The point is affected versions are still shipped as part of many
>> distributions as part of their stable branch, so I think it’s
>> important to get a ᴄᴠᴇ for public awareness.
> Yes, I do think versions below v2.7.0 have a heap overflow, as you
> mentioned. But I don't think that is the only problem with path_name(),
> even in the current version.
>
> I'll repeat the code here (the version you posted was indented badly,
> and I had trouble reading it):
>
> -- >8 --
> char *path_name(const struct name_path *path, const char *name)
> {
>          const struct name_path *p;
>          char *n, *m;
>          int nlen = strlen(name);
>          int len = nlen + 1;
>
>          for (p = path; p; p = p->up) {
>                  if (p->elem_len)
>                          len += p->elem_len + 1;
>          }
>          n = xmalloc(len);
>          m = n + len - (nlen + 1);
>          memcpy(m, name, nlen + 1);
>          for (p = path; p; p = p->up) {
>                  if (p->elem_len) {
>                          m -= p->elem_len + 1;
>                          memcpy(m, p->elem, p->elem_len);
>                          m[p->elem_len] = '/';
>                  }
>          }
>          return n;
> }
> -- 8< --
>
> The problem you describe is one where the size of the allocation does
> not match what strcpy would write. And that's kind-of fixed by moving to
> memcpy() in 34fa79a6, because at least now the initial value of "len"
> matches the number of bytes we write (so that number might be totally
> bogus, but we don't write more than we allocate).
>
> But "len" can also change after the fact, due to the loop. If you have a
> sequence of path components, each less than 2^31, they can sum to a much
> smaller positive value due to integer overflow (e.g., A/B/C with lengths
> A=2^31-5, B=2^31-5, C=20 would yield len=10). Then the buffer is too
> small to fit C, let alone all of the extra components we insert in the
> second loop.
>
> The fix I came up with for this is to convert all of the "int" variables
> here to "size_t". That doesn't actually _fix_ the problem at all, but
> does mean on a 64-bit system that you need a 2^64-long path to trigger
> it, which is impractical. But that doesn't help 32-bit systems (though
> in practice, I wouldn't be surprised if we barf long before that, as we
> would be unable to hold the "struct name_path" list in memory).
>
> Note that there is also a similar problem in tree-diff.c's
> path_appendnew().  There we build up the full pathname in a strbuf,
> [...]
Of course everything Peff talked about above is now fixed in git 2.7.1
with the removal of path_name() and the size_t/overflow check in
tree-diff.c. It was even fixed earlier for users of github enterprise.
However, several months after the last message on this thread, I’m not
aware of any Linux distribution that issued a fix for their stable
branch. Last week I could contact wikimedia so they could fix their
gerrit‑gc server. Bitbucket, GitLab still suffer from that issue (they
even use a git version before
git/commit/34fa79a6cde56d6d428ab0d3160cb094ebad3305 which is the easiest
one to trigger because of strcpy() instead of memcpy() ). while it seems
normal the ᴄᴠᴇ details are still unpublished, I definitely can’t deal
with every major provider.

People surely remember
https://www.google.fr/search?tbm=nws&q=cve-2014-9390 breaking the news
about a similar issue in that software (which allowed most distros to
fix it quikcly). It seems while this threat is more widespread, it
definitely lacks advertisement.
So some Peoples suggested me to post about it here.