Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 14:58:03 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: bash-completion: dequote command injection

I think in this case it's pretty simply "dequoting should not result in
code execution" much like the various deserialization flaws (they should
deserialize the data, not execute random stuff).

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Fernando Muñoz <fernando@...l-life.com>
wrote:

> Hello Eric,
>
> I never mentioned privilege escalation.
>
> This issue how ever could appear when a different application uses
> user input and calls "dequote" function that not only dequotes, but
> also executes it as a command. If mitre doesn't consider it CVE worth,
> that's OK!
>
> Regards.
>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Eric Blake <eblake@...hat.com> wrote:
> > On 02/24/2016 12:08 PM, Fernando Muñoz wrote:
> >> Marcelo Echeverria and Fernando Muñoz discovered that the dequote
> >> function included in bash-completion allows to execute arbitrary
> >> commands since it uses the eval function to call printf and perform
> >> the actual dequoting. bash-completion is included on Debian, Ubuntu
> >> OpenSuse [1] and probably other distros.
> >
> > But what is the privilege escalation?  This is no different than
> > incorrectly using 'eval' in a shell script - you may have buggy code,
> > and have an easy-to-trigger bug, but if you can't escalate privileges,
> > how it is a CVE?
> >
> > --
> > Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
> > Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert@...hat.com