Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:02:14 +0100
From: Manuel Mancera <sinkmanu@...il.com>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security@...ian.org
Subject: Re: CVE Request: graphite-web: open redirect

> > https://github.com/graphite-project/graphite-web/issues/1441 > > > two OpenRedirects in /webapp/graphite/account/views.py > > >
Proof of Concept: > > >
http://graphiteSite/account/logout?nextPage=https://www.google.com > >
Is there a response from the author of the code indicating that this >
is a vulnerability? Open redirects to http/https are not universally >
considered vulnerabilities for all vendors and products, e.g., > >
https://sites.google.com/site/bughunteruniversity/nonvuln/open-redirect
> > is probably the most well-known counterargument. >

The authors did not answer.

> > >     http://graphiteSite/account/update > >         POST:
nextPage=https://www.google.com > > What is the threat model for this
open redirect issue that requires a > POST request? Often, an attacker's
ability to make a client submit a > POST request with an
attacker-controlled parameter means that the > client is executing
JavaScript code from an attacker-controlled site, > and in that case the
JavaScript can send the browser to an arbitrary > http/https URL without
any realistic ability of the client user to > predict that that might
occur. Is there a way in which the existence > of
http://graphiteSite/account/update helps the attacker to accomplish >
the redirect? >

Yes, exist multiple XSS vulnerabilities described in the CVE-2013-5943
[1]. Some XSS were fixed but other not (I found a persistent XSS [2]).
Any user identified in the application could inject javascript code that
could be executed in the victim. Is not possible get the cookie in
javascript because has the "HTTPOnly" flag.

> > Also, inside the logout and update functions, the session should be checked. > > What vulnerability are you reporting here? Are /account/logout and
> /account/update vulnerable to CSRF? >

Yes, both are vulnerable to CSRF (and all the edit graphs are vulnerable
too, deleted included).

[1] https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2013-5943/
[2] https://github.com/graphite-project/graphite-web/pull/1470