Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 16:37:00 +0100
From: Florent Daigniere <florent.daigniere@...stmatta.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Prime example of a can of worms

On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 10:15 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:43:45 AM Florent Daigniere wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 04:05 +0300, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
> > > On 2016-01-20 08:45:07 -0700, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> > >
> > >  > I finally got the article written and published, it's at:
> > >  > https://securityblog.redhat.com/2016/01/20/primes-parameters-a
> > > nd-m
> > > oduli/
> > >
> > > In that article you wrote:
> > >
> > >  > I think the best plan for dealing with this in the short term
> > >  > is deploying larger primes (2048 bits minimum, ideally 4096
> > >  > bits) right now wherever possible.
> > >
> > > 4096 bit keys seem to be the absolute minimum, and personally
> > > I've
> > > already moved to 8192 bit keys.
> >
> > I'd like to know where you guys picked those numbers from:
> > http://www.keylength.com/en/compare/ suggests that 2048 bits is oka
> > for everyone but the BSI (at least not past 2016). Surely a
> > recommendation today should have a higher standard than that.
> >
> > On the other hand, 3072 bits seems to be enough for everyone for
> > the
> > next decade or so.
>
> I think that is assuming that quantum computers are not brought to
> market any
> time soon.

Indeed. It's also assuming no other major breakthrough happens (whether
it's in maths, moore's law or anything else)...

but here we are talking about making recommendations towards replacing
legacy crypto we suspect^wknow to be broken, in practice, in the real
world, today.

I think that it's very important to keep the message simple: use bigger
(possibly standardized) groups, of at least X bits. The BSI thinks that
X should be greater than 2048 bits and so do I.

Florent
Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)