Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 14:43:50 -0500 (EST)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: john.johansen@...onical.com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Linux kernel: privilege escalation in user namespaces

Use CVE-2015-8709 for the issue fixed in the
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/12/25/71 post.

(This is not yet available at
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/kernel/ptrace.c
and http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=145118185526359 might be the
current end of the earlier discussion.)

This issue has been covered in security advisories from one or more
Linux distributions, e.g.,

>> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2847-1
>>
>> Jann Horn discovered a ptrace issue with user namespaces in the Linux
>> kernel. The namespace owner could potentially exploit this flaw by ptracing
>> a root owned process entering the user namespace to elevate its privileges
>> and potentially gain access outside of the namespace.
>> (http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1527374)

There has been some discussion of whether the finding was a
vulnerability discovery, e.g.,

>>> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 00:07:19 +0100
>>> From: Jann Horn <jann@...jh.net>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure whether this is CVE-worthy - the user_namespaces
>>> manpage says "the process has full privileges for operations
>>> inside the user namespace, but is unprivileged for operations
>>> outside the namespace". ptrace()ing a process in the
>>> namespace can reasonably be considered an "operation inside
>>> the user namespace" ...
>>>
>>> In my opinion, this patch is somewhere between hardening and
>>> a security feature, but I wouldn't really call it a vuln fix.

We feel that, more generally, the usn-2847-1 mention of "and
potentially gain access outside of the namespace" is a realistic
concern.

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]