Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:34:22 -0500 (EST)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: jschauma@...meister.org
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Chef: knife bootstrap leaks validator privkey into system logs

> https://github.com/chef/chef/issues/3871

Use CVE-2015-8559 for the originally described issue in 3871. The
"sudo command logging on most reasonable systems, in the system logs.
The logs may also be forwarded to other places (possibly in clear
text)" scenario, at least, seems relevant.

In general, an issue with unlogged private data on a command line
sometimes does not have a CVE ID, if the command line only occurs
during initial installation of a machine, before any unprivileged user
accounts would have access. (We don't know enough about the use cases
to determine whether that sometimes applies to chef.)

> I can't recall but I suspect this is also a problem with the
> validatorless bootstrapping as well, which copies client.pem up to the
> node instead validation.pem.

We aren't assigning a CVE ID for a "can't recall but I suspect this is
also a problem" report. If there is a second vulnerability disclosed by
lamont-granquist, then there should be a second CVE ID.

> https://github.com/chef/chef/issues/3872
>
> creates private files via here-doc cat(1)ing followed by running
> chmod(1) and setting the permissions.
>
> This is a race condition if the default umask creates files world- or
> group-readable (as is almost universally the case).

3872 was linked from 3871. If there is a race-condition vulnerability
disclosed in 3872, we may be able to assign a CVE ID. (We would not
want a CVE if the issue can occur only before unprivileged user
accounts would have access.)

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]