Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 15:07:11 -0600
From: Mark Felder <feld@...d.me>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-Request: Assign CVE for common-collections remote
 code execution on deserialisation flaw

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015, at 08:37, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015, at 01:58, Gsunde Orangen wrote:
> >
> > I share Tim's view [2] and a dozen of (own) applications we checked
> > won't break. A property that re-enables deserialization of course would
> > help additionally: allow applications that really *need* this to get it
> > working; but that requires an explicit step - so latest by that time:
> > those, whose applications break after including a "fixed" version of
> > Commons-Collections would (hopefully) start to think about their design.
> >
> > Gsunde
> >
> > [1] http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/238
> > [2] http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2015/q4/263
>
> This statement is how we have been operating our mitigation strategy:
>
> "Applications which use Apache Commons Collections and do not use
> deserialization are not vulnerable."

CERT has released a statement[1] indicating that you are vulnerable
simply by having this in your classpath. It does not matter if you are
doing deserialization or not. The patch[2] to disable serialization
functionality by default seems to me like the only option to mitigate
the CVE now.

[1] https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/576313
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12771520/COLLECTIONS-580.patch