Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:28:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: fw@...eb.enyo.de
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: lldpd crash in lldp_decode due large management address

> https://github.com/vincentbernat/lldpd/commit/dd4f16e7e816f2165fba76e3d162cd8d2978dcb2
>
> lldp: fix a buffer overflow when handling management address TLV
>
> When a remote device was advertising a too large management address
> while still respecting TLV boundaries, lldpd would crash due to a buffer
> overflow. However, the buffer being a static one, this buffer overflow
> is not exploitable if hardening was not disabled. This bug exists since
> version 0.5.6.

>> https://github.com/vincentbernat/lldpd/blob/master/configure.ac

>> [AS_HELP_STRING([--enable-hardening],
>>   [Enable compiler and linker options to frustrate memory corruption exploits @<:@default=yes@:>@])],

Based on the
https://github.com/vincentbernat/lldpd/commit/8738a36d30e2e94257c5b1ae9cd3e7c3d314808e
commit, there are apparently some platforms, such as the OpenWrt Linux
distribution, on which hardening must be disabled. Thus, this is a
relevant exploitable problem in the general case.

Use CVE-2015-8011.

> https://github.com/vincentbernat/lldpd/commit/793526f8884455f43daecd0a2c46772388417a00
>
> protocols: don't use assert on paths that can be reached
>
> Malformed packets should not make lldpd crash. Ensure we can handle them
> by not using assert() in this part.

Use CVE-2015-8012.

(Apparently there are various types of malformed packets that can
cause different problems. However, the code changes themselves are all
for CWE-617.)

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]