Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:35:00 +0200
From: Gustavo Grieco <gustavo.grieco@...il.com>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DoS in libtiff

> > We found a DoS using a crafted tiff file that causes a OOM kill
>
> > If you run it with ltrace, you can see some very large reallocs
>
> Use CVE-2015-7313.

Thanks! I got some interesting response from upstream:

"FYI, the file has a # of image lines around four billion.  I didn't dig
into it
closely when first reported, but it might be that auto-strip-chopping is
creating an expensive/large data structure.

I'm not entirely confident whether to treat library requests for large
amounts
of memory as a defect in the library.  It makes me sad that modern operating
systems seem to have trouble just return NULL for malloc() calls for which
there isn't enough memory available.  (If my assumptions are correct)."