Date: Tue,  8 Sep 2015 13:44:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: meissner@...e.de
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: more php unserializing issues

The CVE IDs in this message apply to PHP before 5.4.44, 5.5.x before
5.5.28, and 5.6.x before 5.6.12.

> These look like they can be exploited for code execution.

There is related discussion in the
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/02/05/5 post. The
essential question is whether there should be a new CVE ID for every
report where exploitation depends on the attacker's ability to control
the argument to unserialize. We think these reports are important to
relatively few people, i.e., either because their applications don't
allow arbitrary input to unserialize, or because their applications do
allow arbitrary input to unserialize and there's already a much
simpler attack approach available. In other words, in practice, no
privilege boundary is crossed. However, it's conceivable for an
application to have constraints on how unserialize is used, such that
many attacks are blocked, but these remote-code-execution attacks
involving use-after-free bugs aren't blocked. For example, see some of
the discussion linked from the
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/secure_unserialize page.

> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70166
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70155 (dup)
> Use After Free Vulnerability in unserialize() with SPLArrayObject
>
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70168
> Use After Free Vulnerability in unserialize() with SplObjectStorage
>
> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70169
> Use After Free Vulnerability in unserialize() with SplDoublyLinkedList

In the current case, we feel it is best to combine a number of
taoguangchen@...oud.com discoveries into one CVE. Use CVE-2015-6831
for 70155/70166/70168/70169.

Use CVE-2015-6832 for this sean.heelan@...il.com discovery.

> https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=70019
> Files extracted from archive may be placed outside of destination directory

Use CVE-2015-6833. This seems to be a marginal case in which the issue
can be interpreted as a security enhancement because the vendor
(2015-07-08 14:30) states that the behavior was intended. However, for
most people, "Extract the contents of a phar archive to a directory"
(see the http://php.net/manual/en/phar.extractto.php page) probably
doesn't suggest that an arbitrary set of directories can be chosen by
the author of the archive. Also, we already have CVE-2008-5658.

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]