Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 01:06:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE REJECT noise

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 03:50:19PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > Can we please agree that CVE REJECT postings such as those Kurt has been
> > occasionally making in here for a while are not to be made anymore?  To
> > me, and I suspect to almost(?) all other oss-security subscribers, they
> > are just noise.  I mean things like this:
>
> Stupid question but who is "We"? I mean it's your list and if you want me
> to definitely not post these, I can respect that no problem, OTOH if you're
> looking for community consensus I doubt that'll happen in any meaningful
> way (bike shedding is the most likely outcome).

"We" is the oss-security community, or the current subscribers to this
mailing list.  I expect that very few people, if any, need those
postings.  I want to hear from those few, if any.  If it's no one at
all, then the postings should just stop.  If it's like 1 or 2 people or
groups, then we should find a way for Kurt to e-mail them directly (and
I don't mind setting up a separate mailing list if that would help).  If
it's a lot of people (totally unexpected, but who knows), then we should
continue the current practice.

So, once again, can _only_ those people who want to see non-informative
CVE REJECT postings in here state so, please?  I don't need to hear from
the 99%+ of people who I am sure don't want to see those postings in
here.  That's obvious.  I also already know your preference, Kurt.

And let's end this thread soon.  It isn't meant to be long, or that
would defeat the purpose.  But for now, the thread is open in case
anyone at all (besides Kurt) has any objections to the proposed decision
or wants to establish another mechanism for them to receive those
seemingly useless messages.

Thanks!

Alexander