Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 03:01:22 +1000
From: Joshua Rogers <oss@...ernot.info>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: A new class of security vulns?

On 31/07/15 01:33, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> However now I'm seeing flaws around printing/display of user data, e.g.
> systems where a user can set their own name, but fills it with backspace
> characters, so when an admin looks at the text record it is
> mangled/shows something the attacker wants them to see and not the
> "True" data.
This seems vaguely related to the problem on many forums, where certain
characters can be used to masquerade as others, such as using the
Russian alphabet "Т", instead of the English "T". They look exactly the
same, but are obviously treated differently.
$ echo 'Т T' | sed -n l
\320\242 T$

From a forum standpoint of what I've mentioned, the only
'exploitability' is through the use of impersonation.
--
-- Joshua Rogers <https://internot.info/>

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)