Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 12:26:33 -0500
From: Tyler Hicks <tyhicks@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
	Colin Ian King <colin.king@...onical.com>, security@...ntu.com
Subject: Re: Security issue in Linux Kernel Keyring
 (CVE-2015-1333)

On 2015-07-27 09:18:55, Tyler Hicks wrote:
> While improving the system call coverage in stress-ng[1], Colin Ian King
> discovered a bug in the Linux kernel keyring that can be used to cause a
> local denial of service due to memory exhaustion when the same key is
> repeatedly added to the kernel keyring via the add_key() syscall.
>
> This issue has been assigned CVE-2015-1333.

mancha pinged me on IRC while trying to figure out what kernel versions
are affected and I realized that I forgot to include an import detail in
my original email.

The following commit introduced the issue:

  commit 034faeb9ef390d58239e1dce748143f6b35a0d9b
  Date:   Wed Oct 30 11:15:24 2013 +0000

      KEYS: Fix keyring quota misaccounting on key replacement and unlink

Which means that v3.13 and newer kernels are affected:

  $ git describe --contains 034faeb9ef390d58239e1dce748143f6b35a0d9b
  v3.13-rc1~18^2~6^2~2

Tyler

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pgp-signature SKIPPED ]