Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 20:13:13 +0100
From: Kiall Mac Innes <kiall@...innes.ie>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request - OpenStack Designate mDNS DoS through incorrect
 handling of large RecordSets

On 28/07/15 19:57, cve-assign@...re.org wrote:
>> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1471161
>
>> Designate does not enforce the DNS protocol limit concerning
>> record set sizes
>
>> As a result, the rendering loop in desginate-mdns can does not
>> make progress
>
>> Because it keeps receiving data, it does not seem it will ever
>> run into a timeout (and if it does, it will try again).
>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/designate/+bug/1471161/comments/5
>
>> I think there is 2 parts to this bug:
>
>> 1: Quotas were being bypassed as part of the v1 API. 2. If there
>> was enough RRs in a RRSet MiniDNS went into a loop. 3. MiniDNS
>> does not have a timeout.
>
> Our current feeling is that it is best to have two CVE IDs: one
> for the original "does not enforce the DNS protocol limit
> concerning record set sizes" issue and one for the "Quotas were
> being bypassed" issue. Is that OK?

Yes, this is OK.

> [SNIP]
>
> We feel that item 3, adding a timeout, can be considered a
> security enhancement opportunity that should not have its own CVE
> ID, i.e., there is no report of a vulnerability that can be fixed
> only with a timeout.

Agreed.

> Finally, our understanding is that multiple names are being used to
> refer to the general
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Designate/Blueprints/MiniDNS
> concept, i.e., we think "MiniDNS does not have a timeout" is an
> observation about the Designate codebase, not a third-party DNS
> server such as from the https://code.google.com/p/minidns/ site.
> Also, we think this part of the Designate codebase is also called
> designate-mdns (misspelled as desginate-mdns) and mDNS -- these are
> essentially alternative names for Designate MiniDNS.

Interesting, https://code.google.com/p/minidns/ is project I've not
seen before. Within OpenStack Designate, we typically refer to the
`designate-mdns` service as either MiniDNS or mDNS, we will need to
ensure we're clearer in our wording in future to avoid any possible
confusion.

Thanks,
Kiall