Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 10:31:13 +0200
From: Vasyl Kaigorodov <vkaigoro@...hat.com>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: pure-ftpd denial of service in glob_()

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015, cve-assign@...re.org wrote:

> > https://github.com/jedisct1/pure-ftpd/commit/0627004e23a24108785dc1506c5767392b90f807
>
> Can you clarify the security impact? We have not looked into the code
> paths or the overall product design. Is this a process that is
> specific to one FTP client? Is the problem that the gl_errfunc
> assignment doesn't occur and there is always a dereference of a NULL
> function pointer? Is there a commonly relevant consequence other than
> the ability of an FTP client to conduct a DoS attack against its own
> session?

As per [1]:

It won't crash the whole service, only the user session. It is
not going to block and dump a core file either, except if compiled in
DEBUG mode.

It appears that there's no security impact here, please disregard this
CVE request.

[1]: https://github.com/jedisct1/pure-ftpd/commit/0627004e23a24108785dc1506c5767392b90f807#commitcomment-11764342

--
Vasyl Kaigorodov | Red Hat Product Security
PGP:  0xABB6E828 A7E0 87FF 5AB5 48EB 47D0 2868 217B F9FC ABB6 E828