Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:20:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: cve-assign@...re.org
To: gcanalesb@...com
Cc: cve-assign@...re.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Possible CVE Request: Multiple stack overflows in squashfs-tools and sasquatch

> Sasquatch is an experimental fork of squashfs-tools.
> I'm requesting a CVE number for this vulnerability, per project.

CVE assignments typically cannot be done that way.

> https://github.com/devttys0/sasquatch/pull/5

As far as we can tell, there are two independent types of problems:

  - "int bytes" is incorrect because the return value of
    SQUASHFS_FRAGMENT_BYTES can be larger than the maximum
    value of a signed int

  - pull/5 says "If we fix this by making the variable size_t, we run
    into an unrelated problem in which the stack VLA allocation of
    fragment_table_index[] can easily exceed RLIMIT_STACK" but
    actually RLIMIT_STACK can be exceeded regardless of the data type
    of the bytes variable

We understand that the pull request is only intended to be an example
code change, not a comprehensive code change to all affected
functions.

This type of fork situation can have up to six CVEs:

 1 - all "int where size_t is correct" issues that occur only in squashfs-tools

 2 - all "int where size_t is correct" issues that occur only in sasquatch

 3 - all "int where size_t is correct" issues that occur in both squashfs-tools and sasquatch

 4 - all "exceeding RLIMIT_STACK" issues that occur only in squashfs-tools

 5 - all "exceeding RLIMIT_STACK" issues that occur only in sasquatch

 6 - all "exceeding RLIMIT_STACK" issues that occur in both squashfs-tools and sasquatch

We would guess that the most likely case is that only 3 and 6 are
applicable, i.e., the code problems are found only in
unsquash-1.c/unsquash-2.c/unsquash-3.c/unsquash-4.c and all of these
files exist in both squashfs-tools and sasquatch. Is this correct?

- --
CVE assignment team, MITRE CVE Numbering Authority
M/S M300
202 Burlington Road, Bedford, MA 01730 USA
[ PGP key available through http://cve.mitre.org/cve/request_id.html ]