Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 23:47:14 +0200
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: about this openssh heap overflow

On Sat, 16 May 2015 21:10:07 +0000
mancha <mancha1@...o.com> wrote:

> So, we're dealing with an OOB *read* triggered by a crafted config. By
> the way, if an attacker has write privileges to your config you have
> bigger fish to fry.

Uh no. Has nothing to do with the config (you may mix this up with
another issue I recently reported to ssh regarding config parsing, but
that's unrelated).

It's an OOB triggered in the client by a specific banner string from the
server.

> Notices are already going up describing this as heap buffer overflow
> with "high" risk. [1]

That's of course bogus.

> Serves as a good reminder that context and
> phrasing are critically important when publicly discussing bugs with
> possible security impact in order to avoid tsunamis of
> the-sky-is-falling posts & articles.

One take away from this story for me - also after criticism I got on
twitter: The term "heap overflow" seems to be prone for
misunderstanding.
Some people consider every out of bounds thing an "overflow", some
think that only oob writes should be considered "overflows.

To avoid confusion I'll call similar issues "out of bounds read"
instead of "read heap overflow" in the future. Probably a wording less
prone to misunderstandings.

(address sanitizer calls every oob read a heap/stack/global buffer
overflow, that is the main reason I used that term in the past - I often
sticked to the wording address sanitizer used)

--
Hanno Böck
http://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@...eck.de