Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 22:05:00 +0000
From: Jason Geffner <jason@...wdstrike.com>
To: "solar@...nwall.com" <solar@...nwall.com>
CC: "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: VENOM - CVE-2015-3456

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your response. As you mentioned, we shared the complete technical details of this vulnerability with the private "distros" list on April 30th, with the embargo on the vulnerability ending today.

We considered different ways of publicly sharing that technical information post-embargo and ultimately decided that providing greater details about the vulnerability and attack vectors would be better published by members of the community external to CrowdStrike. To that end, we'd like to defer to Petr Matousek's excellent blog post at https://securityblog.redhat.com/2015/05/13/venom-dont-get-bitten/ where he describes the FDC's FIFO buffer vulnerability and the FDC commands that could be used by an adversary as attack vectors for the vulnerability.

I understand your criticism, and as a fellow security researcher, believe me, I fully empathize. When we are capable of sharing more technical details publicly, rest assured that I will notify oss-security at that time.

Sincerely,
Jason Geffner
Sr. Security Researcher, CrowdStrike