Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 10:50:11 -0700
From: Mark Sapiro <mark@...piro.net>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>, mailman-security@...hon.org,
 "oss-security@...ts.openwall.com" <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Limited DoS in mailman (requires non standard config)

On 04/28/2015 10:04 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> So I recently ran into a flaw in mailman where I had imported a text
> list of email addresses of people that wanted to sign up. It turns out
> one of the addresses was in the form "user@...ain.tld/random", not sure
> how that snuck in but anyways. When sending email to this list it fails
> due to that address being present:

What Mailman version is this?

I don't think any recent version would add that address to a list
regardless of how it was attempted to be added.

> from mailman posts log:
>
> Apr 28 16:46:23 2015 (29704) post to testing from testing-request@...,
> size=1786, message-id=<mailman.0.1430239582.16535.testing@...>, 1 failures
>
> from smtp-failure log:
>
> smtp-failure:Apr 28 16:46:44 2015 (29704) All recipients refused:
> {'kurt@...fried.org/foo': (501, '5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax')},
> msgid: <CAEo5KB7F3LNCv7Q09ppqBRgUZTaGizyRHx1WS81w8K7S8Yhk7A@...>

And I think the only address refused was the one kurt@...fried.org/foo
address. The 'All recipients refused:' refers to all recipients in that
SMTP transaction, not necessarily every list member.

What does your MTA log say about this delivery? And what does Mailman's
'smtp' log say?

--
Mark Sapiro <mark@...piro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)