Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 22:40:08 +0200
From: Yann Droneaud <ydroneaud@...eya.com>
To: Shachar Raindel <raindel@...lanox.com>
Cc: Haggai Eran <haggaie@...lanox.com>, Sagi Grimberg <sagig@...lanox.com>,
	"oss-security@...ts.openwall.com"
	 <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>, "<linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>
	(linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org)"
	 <linux-rdma@...r.kernel.org>, "linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org"
	 <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, "stable@...r.kernel.org"
	 <stable@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: CVE-2014-8159 kernel: infiniband: uverbs: unprotected physical
 memory access

Hi,

Le jeudi 02 avril 2015 à 16:44 +0000, Shachar Raindel a écrit :
> [...]

If the application cannot choose what will end up in the region it has
registered, it's an issue !

What might happen if one library in a program call mmap(0, size, ...) to
load a file storing a secret (a private key), and that file ends up
being mapped in an registered but otherwise free region (afaict, the
kernel is allowed to do it) ?
What might happen if one library in a program call call mmap(0,
size, ..., MAP_ANONYMOUS,...) to allocate memory, call mlock(), then
write in this location a secret (a passphrase), and that area ends up
in the memory region registered for on demand paging ?

The application haven't choose to disclose these confidential piece of
information, but they are available for reading/writing by remote
through RDMA given it knows the rkey of the memory region (which is a
32bits value).

I hope I'm missing something, because I'm not feeling confident such
behavor is a feature.

> Actually, some of our tests use such flows.
> The mmu notifiers mechanism allow us to do this safely. When the page is
> written back to disk, it is removed from the ODP mapping. When it is
> accessed by the HCA, it is brought back to RAM.

I'm not discussing about the benefit of On Demand Paging and why it's a
very good feature to expose files through RDMA.

I'm trying to understand how the application can choose what is exposed
through RDMA if it registers a very large memory region for later use
(but do not actually explicitly map something there yet): what's the
consequences ?

   void *start = sbrk(0);
   size_t size = ULONG_MAX - (unsigned long)start;

   ibv_reg_mr(pd, start, size, IB_ACCESS_ON_DEMAND)

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud
OPTEYA