Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 15:29:29 +0100
From: Marcus Meissner <>
Cc: CVE Assignments MITRE <>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: MySQL: MyISAM temporary file issue

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 06:00:08PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Hi
> The changes for MySQL 5.5.39[1] and 5.6.20[2] contain a reference to
> the following issue, which could be exploited by a local user to run
> arbitrary code in context of the mysqld server.
> MyISAM temporary files could be used to mount a code-execution attack.
> (Bug #18045646).
> This is also tracked in[3] and [4] mentioning as relevant fix [5].
> Was a CVE already requested for this issue? If not, could one be
> assigned?
> Regards,
> Salvatore
>  [1]
>  [2]
>  [3]
>  [4]
>  [5]

Hi folks.

By reviewing our mysql and mariadb issues we correlated this unknown issue
to a bugreport submitted to us by an external researcher.

The bugreport also has a reproducer.

Stefan "nordi" Nordhausen reported this issue to both Oracle and to us on
7th of January 2014.

Oracle fixed it in their 2014oct CPU.
MariaDB fixed it in 10.0.13 I think.

We had sadly lacked disclosure timeline control on this issue and reactions on
Oracle side were also, errm, delayed.

Ciao, Marcus