Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:00:35 +0100
From: Hanno Böck <hanno@...eck.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GHOST gethostbyname() heap overflow in glibc
 (CVE-2015-0235)

Hi all,

As promised, I wrote down my lengthy thoughts in a blog post:
https://blog.hboeck.de/archives/864-What-the-GHOST-tells-us-about-free-software-vulnerability-management.html

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:50:01 -0700
Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:

> This is why for example I've been trying to make CVE's easily
> available so people are more likely to come to us with borderline
> issues ("I'm not sure but this looks weird and may be security
> related"). I'm also working on a set of examples for the CVE HOWTO so
> again developers will hopefully be able to realize when things look
> weird and may be a security issue and not just a flaw. I'm trying to
> find ways to help educate people/make it easier for them to report
> security issues but this is a non trivial problem.

Regarding CVEs - I made similar experiences as Michal. It's very
mixed, sometimes I get CVEs quickly, sometimes I don't get answers to
requests.

I would like the CVE process to be a better tool to organize this (as
I've written in my blog post), but right now I feel it's not working
reliably enough for that. At some point I stopped caring too much about
CVEs because I felt waiting for them stops me from reporting more
issues.

cu,
--
Hanno Böck