Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 00:03:00 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <>
        Mitre CVE assign department <>
Subject: Re: GHOST gethostbyname() heap overflow in glibc (CVE-2015-0235)

On 28/01/15 06:57 PM, Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
> On 01/29/2015 03:17 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> Use CVE-2012-6686 for "unbound alloca use in glob_in_dir" as covered
>>> by Red Hat Bugzilla ID 797096.
>> Oh, it seems Huzaifa posted the wrong Bugzilla reference.
> Yes, sorry wrong bz.
>> We still need assignment for this fix:
>>   <;a=commitdiff;h=2e96f1c7>
>> The matching Red Hat Bugzilla bug is:
>>   <>
> The above is the correct bug  with the corresponding impact at:
> Can we still use the above CVE for this issue?

This would be a bad idea and lead to much confusion, especially for
people that have already consumed this CVE and written up reports that
in turn have been shipped to other people/etc.

Can we REJECT this CVE if the issue is not a security issue, obviously
if it is a security issue we should keep this CVE.

Additionally if we can get a new CVE for Bz981942 that would be great,

>> I haven't yet seen an upstream bug for it; this change happened before
>> upstream required bugs being filed for all user-visible changes.

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)