Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 23:52:54 +0100
From: Damien Regad <dregad@...tisbt.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2014-6316: URL redirection issue in MantisBT

During follow-up tests he performed on the fix for CVE-2014-6316 (which
was released in MantisBT 1.2.18), Alejo Popovici noticed [1] that the
earlier fix was only partial.

With certain browsers (FF 34, Chrome 39 but not IE11) it is still
possible to effect a cross-domain redirection using a redirect address
having a single slash, e.g.

- http://example.com/mantis/login_page.php?return=https:/google.com or
- https://example.com/mantis/login_page.php?return=http:/google.com

This is essentially the same vulnerability that was described in
CVE-2014-6316, but due to a different root cause (for which a patch will
be issued soon).

I would like to know if I should be using the same CVE ID, or if a new
one needs to be issued.

Thanks in advance.

Damien Regad
MantisBT Developer