Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 18:54:32 -0600
From: endeavor <endeavor@...nbowsandpwnies.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: CVE Request: libpng 1.6.15 Heap Overflow

I thought it might be helpful to add some additional clarity to this bug.
There were two bugs patched in the latest updates to libpng. The first
bug is an overflow in png_read_IDAT_data, and is triggerable due to
checks on image width that were removed a while ago in libpng branches
1.6.x and 1.5.x. This is the bug against which the following write up
applies: http://tfpwn.com/files/libpng_heap_overflow_1.6.15.txt .
While fixing this bug, John Bowler found a second, unrelated overflow in
png_combine_row. His mailing list post on that bug is found here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/png-mng/mailman/message/33172831/ . It looks
like CVE-2014-9495 was assigned against this bug, but attributed to me
by accident.
As the fixes to either bug don't fix the other, there are actually two
overflows that need to be tracked for libpng. People backporting changes
should ensure they fix both bugs.
Both of these bugs are evidence of a larger issue in libpng 1.6.x and
1.5.x. Those branches allow abnormally large width and height values. On
64-bit platforms, widths and heights of 0x7fffffff are still allowed.
Somewhat smaller, but abnormally large widths, and still very large
heights, are available on 32-bit platforms. The 1.2.x branch only allows
for the safer values.
Safe limits can be enabled in these libpng branches with
-DPNG_SAFE_LIMITS_SUPPORTED. These limits are not enabled by default.
http://sourceforge.net/p/libpng/code/ci/libpng-1.6.16-signed/tree/pngpriv.h#l300
I very strongly recommend individuals building libpng 1.5.x and 1.6.x
use PNG_SAFE_LIMITS_SUPPORTED.
- Alex Eubanks